New Jersey Makers Day began in 2015 to enhance community engagement and develop connections among New Jersey residents by collaborating with multi-type libraries, museums, small businesses and others to promote and explore new opportunities for entrepreneurship, innovation and hands-on learning experiences. In 2016, New Jersey Makers Day was expanded to be a two-day event, which allowed sites not able to host events during the weekend (like schools, colleges and universities, manufacturers, local businesses, etc.) to still be able to provide programs, demonstrations and other events for their communities.
New Jersey Makers Day is now an independent 501(c)3 non-profit corporation able to accept tax-deductible donations to grow the event across the state.
The ultimate goal of NJ Makers Day is to enhance community engagement and facilitate connections among New Jersey residents by exploring new and interesting opportunities for community-wide education, entrepreneurship and hands-on learning experiences.
Doug Baldwin, President
Dave Franz, Vice-President
Kate Jaggers, Secretary
James Keehbler, Treasurer
Maureen Donohue, Board Development Officer
Ralph Bingham, Member at Large
Allen McGinley, Member at Large
Michael Marchetti, Member at Large
- Celebrate the culture of making in New Jersey
- Foster collaboration between makers and makerspaces across New Jersey
- Host a program/event on the same day at all participating New Jersey makerspaces
- Promote the role of NJ libraries in supporting makers and maker culture throughout the state
- Schedule at least one event in every county in New Jersey
- Contract with vendors based in New Jersey whenever possible
- Create projects with low or no barriers of access, including one or two live-streamed or recorded statewide projects
- Maintain a directory of makers and makerspaces in New Jersey
NJMD Planning Team
It takes a lot of work to pull together a coordinated statewide effort, and we couldn't do it without all of the participating sites, partners, sponsors, or the enthusiastic individual members of our varied NJ communities!
New Jersey Makers Day was originally organized by Doug Baldwin, Piscataway Public Library; Ralph Bingham, Gloucester County Library System; Mo Donohue, Piscataway Public Library; Dave Franz, Hillsdale Public Library; Kate Jaggers, Piscataway Public Library; James Keehbler, Piscataway Public Library; and Allen McGinley, Piscataway Public Library. The program's initiation was made possible in particular from the support of LibraryLinkNJ, the New Jersey Library Cooperative. The expanded support that we have received from all of our sponsors and partners since 2014 has been invaluable to the continued success of the NJ Makers Day. Information about sponsorships can be found here.
Please use our contact form for any questions or inquiries.
NJMD Executive Summaries